Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Same World New Rules

Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack… and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer-- and son-- of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life.

Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna’s inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf-- a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack…

Title: Cry Wolf
Author: Patricia Briggs
Series: The Alpha & Omega, Book 1
Start & Finished: 9/17/08-9/18/08
Published: 2008
Publisher: Ace
Pages: 294
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Originally a straight fantasy author (dragons, sorcerers, mages, etc.), Patricia Briggs wasn’t widely recognized until 2006 when she published the first urban fantasy book in her Mercedes Thompson series Moon Called. After the second book Blood Bound (in 2007), she was invited to contribute to the anthology On the Prowl with authors Sunny, Karen Chance, and Eileen Wilks where she had the honor of being the first story in the collection: Alpha and Omega. The story was a spin-off of the Mercy series featuring a minor character Charles (the Alpha) and his new mate Anna (the Omega) and the author decided to go ahead and turn it into a series as well publishing the first one Cry Wolf several months after the third Mercy story had come out in 2008, Iron Kissed.

Discovering Patricia Briggs’ work was such a thrill because her character Mercy was funny and all the other characters were incredibly lifelike as well. Therefore, once I had read all her current urban fantasy I began to look forward to every other release of hers too, which is how I stumbled across her short story in the anthology. The werewolves are a major part of the Mercy series as she was raised by them and her main love interests (one of whom is a brother to the main character in this book) are both werewolves but since Mercy wasn’t one (she’s a coyote skin walker), the audience is left with the sense of being just on the fringes of an interesting culture. In Cry Wolf, the peril and big battle that you would expect of Briggs is there but she also explores the werewolves a bit more too.

I’ll admit it was a bit disorienting to read a series that runs parallel to her Mercy books (and I can’t help but wonder if she can keep minor details out of each other series) but I loved reading her newest series. The characters and the situations were unique and the intriguing glimpse into the Marrok and his werewolves’ culture just wasn’t enough for me! Now I’m going to drive myself crazy waiting for the second book Hunting Ground to be released later this year. I still prefer the Mercy series more but Briggs did a fine job setting up a new series that could almost equal it.

Series: Alpha and Omega (short), Cry Wolf, Hunting Ground (‘09)

Related Posts
Moon Called
Blood Bound
Iron Kissed

On the Prowl (anthology)

Links: Author Wikipedia, Author Comments on the Book
Interview: Nalini Singh Blog Q&A

Picture Explanation
Yellow Rose:
Asil owns a hothouse where he grows Spanish roses.
Mountains: The Marrok clan lives in the Montana mountains.
Black Wolf: Walter’s wolf form

15 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for the Mercy series to grow on me. I liked Cry Wolf, and am very glad I had prior warning to read Alpha and Omega in On the Prowl first, since Cry Wolf would be very confusing at first without having read the short story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this one! I have a copy of it on my shelf but am holding out until I've read the 3rd Mercy book and am caught up with that series. Although I think the 4th book might be due out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to get started on the Mercy series. I didn't know she had so many books out. If I like it I'll have a lot to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review Lady_tink. I liked the concept of the Omega so the alternate series was interesting. Just got Bone Crossed and hope to get to it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another book that's been sitting on my shelf calling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, too! She has become one of my favorite authors over the past couple of years. I'm very much looking forward to Bone Crossed (and feeling jealous of SciFiGuy, who has his already, pout). Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so looking forward to starting this later this month having finally read Alpha and Omega. I have the fourth Mercy book on order which I can't wait to get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mo: I LOVE the Mercy series! Well, Iron Kissed wasn't quite as good as I had hoped but I have faith in Bone-Crossed being really good!

    Samantha: Yeah it's the fourth book that is new but a character that is in one of the Mercy books for a brief few seconds appears in this spin-off novel. I would suggest reading the short story before you read Cry Wolf though.

    Nymeth: They're well worth a read!

    Sci-Fi Guy: Thanks! I too liked the Omega and how she was able to calm the other werewolves like Walter and Asil. Hope you enjoy Bone Crossed! I hope to get it before too long.

    Carols Notebook: Thanks for stopping by! I have many, many, many of those myself. I always feel bad when I pass them up for my library books too lol.

    Darla D: She's one of my favs now too. I'm glad she has two series now set in the same world because waiting a whole year to read another Briggs is torture!

    Rhinoa: Looking forward to seeing what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have too many blogs, woman! I can't figure out where I am most of the time! *giggle*

    I just finished the second Mery Thomson book and am ready for more. I am not sure how I would enjoy this series though because I tend to have problems with books that run parallel with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *sigh* I still haven't read all her Mercy series yet, let alone this book! I'm so way behind!

    But I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this. I guess I need to move these books forward among my pile, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review :) Did you change your avitar? It's cute. I like it!
    I love those pictures with the snow in your post too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked this book! I am looking forward to the next one later this year. I just finished Bone Crossed tonight, the fourth Mercy Thompson book. Now, more waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cat: Lol, I actually have one other just for Disney and family related movies but I've been seriously considering moving it to this one. I liked this one because its entirely independent from the Mercy series and only mentions her and a few of the characters. They are almost entirely seperate though.

    Melody: They're really good, I hope you enjoy them! Thanks!

    The Chic Geek: Thanks, yes I did. I can't take credit for the photos, I just found them online while searching for something that would illustrate scenes from the book.

    Kailana: Lucky! I want to read Bone Crossed SO bad! The waiting is killing me too lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does sound good, great review as always.
    I need to add Patricia Briggs to my TBR list.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since I wasn't a huge fan of Moon Called, I am going to pass on this one. :( I know I am the odd reader out...lol! Everyone else loves the series.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog