Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Buffy+ Bond= Jaz Parks

I'm Jaz Parks. My boss is Vayl, born in Romania in 1744. Died there too, at the hand of his vampire wife, Liliana. But that's ancient history. For the moment Vayl works for the CIA doing what he does best--assassinating people. And I help. You could say I'm an assistant assassin. But then I'd have to kick your ass.

Our current assignment seemed easy. Get close to a Miami plastic surgeon named Assan, a charmer with ties to terrorism that run deeper than a buried body. Find out what he's meeting with that can help him and his comrades bring America to her knees. And then close his beady little eyes forever. Why is it that nothing's ever as easy as it seems?


Title: Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Author: Jennifer Rardin
Series: Jaz Parks
Published: 2007
Publisher: Orbit
Pages: 291
Genre: Contemporary Paranormal-Fantasy

Author
Jennifer Rardin has created an incredible world with great characters in her action-packed debut book Once Bitten, Twice Shy. It is the first story in the Jaz Parks series although the author has promised there will be many more and soon.

Paranormal adventure series with tough heroines have become fairly commonplace over the past couple of years and although Jennifer Rardin’s Jaz Parks series fits perfectly into that
category, the characters are a bit more complex. Especially Ms. Jaz Parks herself! She has the essential sassy attitude that is required of a heroine in her shoes but she’s also terrified that her co-workers, family, and friends will find out about her secret. A secret she’s scared to admit even to herself!

I enjoyed the characters, the biting wit, and how my interest never once waned in the entire course of the book. I found some of the paranormal events a little odd but also essential to the plot and I liked how Once Bitten, Twice Shy is set up to continue the series but also give you a satisfying ending.

A fellow blogger did a
great review on this book that interested me enough to start the series and now I’m hooked. Here is a really interesting interview with the author at LoveVampires.com about the characters and the series itself. The publishing company Orbit Books also has a page on the book that includes an excerpt.

The Jaz Parks Series:

  • Once Bitten, Twice Shy
  • Another One Bites the Dust
  • Biting the Bullet
  • Bitten to Death (8/08)
  • One More Bite (3/09)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a great start to a new series! I don't know if it's just coincidence of if there are just so many of them out there, but I have been reading a ton of vampire novels lately, and they are all so different from each other that I don't feel that I need a break (yet, anyway). I have a lot more on my tbr pile to get to, too! I will definitely add this one to my list. Bbut maybe I'll wait till there are more of them and get caught up on some of other series...save myself the frustration of having to wait so darn long between favorite series books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I'm so glad you enjoyed the first foray into Jaz Parks' world! I think the next one in the series, Another One Bites the Dust, is even better (which could, admittedly, have a lot to do with the fact that Cole is in it a lot more.) Looking forward to see what you think! Thanks for the mention, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting and like the kind of thing I would enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another series to add to my must try list. Thanks for the great review, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've sold me! :-D I have this one on its way.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog