Thursday, January 10, 2008

The World is His

He loved the American Dream. With a Vengeance.

In the spring of 1980, the port at Mariel Harbor was opened, and thousands set sail for the United States. They came in search of the American Dream. One of them found it on the sun-washed avenues of Miami... wealth, power and passion beyond his wildest dreams. he was Tony Montana. The world will remember him by another name... Scarface.

Al Pacino gives an unforgettable performance as Tony Montana, one of the most ruthless gangsters ever depicted on film, in this gripping crime epic inspired by the 1932 classic of the same title. Directed by hit-maker Brian De Palma and produced by Martin Bergman who brought both Godfather legends to the screen, Scarface follows in the violent career of a small-time Cuban refugee hoodlum who guns his way to the top of Miami's cocaine empire.

Title: Scarface
Release: December 9, 1983
Genre: Drama-Crime
MPAA Rating: R
Writer: Oliver Stone
Director: Brian De Palma
Produced By: Martin Bregman
Distributed By: Universal Pictures
Run Time: 170 minutes
Official Site

Probably the best known and most often quoted movie of all time, the film that all other crime-type movies are judged by would have to be the 1983 hit, Scarface starring Al Pacino as Tony Montana. As an essential part of part of American pop culture as this is, it almost didn’t make it because of the controversial violence (the MPAA tried to slap an X rating on it) and it hardly even made a profit at the box office when it was released. Now, it’s almost 25 years later and Scarface is still going strong.

I’ve always been a big fan of Al Pacino’s larger-than-life acting style and yet somehow I never did manage to watch Scarface until this past weekend. I’m amazed at how much I enjoyed it... even if I did think the wardrobe’s and sets were tacky!

I don’t know if Scarface will last another 25 years or not but if I was a betting person I’d say it will. Like Tony says, "You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy... So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you."

Wikipedia, imdb.com, and Gonemovie.biz all have information available for Scarface and here’s a fansite as well.


Trailer:

2 comments:

  1. Al Pacino sure looks good in that trailer! ;-) I am sure I've seen this movie, but I don't really remember it, I'm afraid. It may be time to rent it and watch it again . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, he looks so young! I remember seeing the movie when it first came out (I, of course, look no different at all than I did then). :-)

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog