Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Journey Into Narnia

Narnia... the land beyond the wardrobe door, a secret place frozen in eternal winter... a magical country waiting to be set free. Lucy is the first to find the secret of the wardrobe in the Professor's mysterious old house. At first, her brothers and sister don't believe her when she tells of her visit to the land of Narnia. But soon Edmund, then Peter and Susan step through the wardrobe themselves. In Narnia they find a country buried under the evil enchantment of the White Witch. When they meet the Great Lion, Aslan, they realize they've been called to a great adventure and bravely join the battle to free Narnia from the Witch's sinister spell.
Title: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Author: C. S. Lewis
Series: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1 or Book 2 (see below)
Illustrator: Pauline Baynes (original)
Published: 1950
Pages: 198
Genre: Fiction- Fantasy

I had never read any of the books about Narnia before, although I loved Disney’s film adaptation made a couple of years ago. So when my online reading group, The Children’s Books of Yesterday decided on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as December’s group read I figured it would be a good time to at least try it and I’m so glad I did! I know there is a bit of controversy over the order the series should be read but I decided to go with the order they were written (which is the order the Disney film adaptations appear to be coming out as well).

I just adored the land of Narnia and it’s (good) inhabitants! It’s one of the most wonderful, magical places ever written about. Forget Wonderland and Neverland! I’d much rather go to Narnia and meet all my favorite characters. Especially Mr. Tumnus the Faun and Aslan although Lucy and Peter are interesting as well. Could you imagine having supper in the Beaver’s cozy little den?

I think the reason why most children (and adults!) still find The Chronicles of Narnia so compelling is not just because of the imaginativeness of the stories but because C. S. Lewis put so much of his friendly personality into the books. Well that and who wouldn’t want to read stories about adventure? Here is one of my favorite passages:

That ride was perhaps the most wonderful thing that happened to them in Narnia. ...He [Aslan] rushes on and on, never missing his footing, never hesitating, threading his way with perfect skill between tree trunks, jumping over bush and briar and the smaller streams, wading through the larger, swimming the largest of all. And you are riding not on a road nor in a park not even on the downs, but right across Narnia, in spring, down solemn avenues of beech and across sunny glades of oak, through wild orchards of snow-white cherry trees, past roaring waterfalls and mossy rocks and echoing caverns, up windy slopes alight with gorse bushes, and across the shoulders of heathery mountains and along giddy ridges and down, down, down again into wild valleys and out into acres of blue flowers.

Wikipedia has many articles on the
Chronicles of Narnia including one on C. S. Lewis and this book The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. There is also a great site called Into the Wardrobe which is run by Lewis' stepson.

Publication Order:

Chronological order:

Related Reviews:
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)

3 comments:

  1. The Narnia books are great fun. My grandmother encouraged me to read them which I thought was so strange considering how perfectly Christian she was. Little did I know. Haha Anyway, regardless, it's a fun series. I am glad you enjoyed the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha!! These books were great! I read them my freshman year in college on a recommendation by my ex-girlfriend. And I read them in publication order because that's all I knew to read them in (and the set came that way).

    I, unfortunately, did not enjoy the movie a few years ago. I thought it was boring. It made me want to read the books again, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm that paperback series is sitting in my brothers room.. one day i need to take them and read them lol.. one day!

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog