Saturday, August 25, 2007

Even Pregnant, Elena Still Kicks Butt!

In this thrilling new novel from the author of Industrial Magic, a pregnant werewolf may have unwittingly unleashed Jack the Ripper on twenty-first-century Toronto – and become his next target...

Ever since she discovered she’s pregnant, Elena Michaels has been on edge. After all, she’s never heard of another living female werewolf, let alone one who’s given birth. But thankfully, her expertise is needed to retrieve a stolen letter allegedly written by Jack the Ripper. As a distraction, the job seems simple enough — only the letter contains a portal to Victorian London’s underworld, which Elena inadvertently triggers — unleashing a vicious killer and a pair of zombie thugs.

Now Elena must find a way to seal the portal before the unwelcome visitors get what they’re looking for — which, for some unknown reason, is Elena…


Title: Broken
Series: Women of the Otherworld, Book 6
Published: April 25, 2006
Publisher: Bantam Books
Pages: 480
Genre: Urban Fantasy


It’s been awhile since Elena and the rest of the werewolf clan had a major "screen time" in one of Kelley Armstrong's fabulous novels so I was more than a little excited when I picked up the sixth book in the Women of the Otherworld series, Broken. I was even more intrigued when I discovered that Jack the Ripper is included in the storyline too. Xavier also makes a small appearance and is the catalyst for the whole book (for those that don’t remember or don’t know he is the half-demon from the second book Stolen) and incidentally he is responsible for my favorite Elena argument in the whole book:

"Dangerous? Do you remember what Xavier’s power is? Teleportation. Limited teleportation. The guy can move about ten feet. Worst thing he can do to me? Poke me in the eyes, go ‘nyuk, nyuk, nyuk’ and zip away before I can smack him."

Broken turned out to be pretty good but still not one of my absolute favorites in the series. A new character was introduced in this book that I hope to see more of. Her name is Zoe and she’s a vampire but she’s a whole lot nicer and interesting than some of the other vampires in the Otherworld. Jaime (the necromancer who narrates the next book in the series, No Humans Involved) is pretty cool in this book too but as I’ve said before and will undoubtable say again, Elena is my favorite heroine in this series (and her husband Clay is the best "hero") and it was good to spend some quality time with her again.

Women of the Otherworld Series
1. Bitten (2001)
2. Stolen (2002)
3. Dime Store Magic (2003)
5. Haunted (2005)
6. Broken (2006)
8. Personal Demon (2008)
9. Living with the Dead (2008)
10. Frost Bitten (2009)
11. Waking the Witch (2010)

First Paragraph: Clayton doesn't do "unobtrusive" well. Not even when he tries, and that afternoon, he was trying his damnedest. He was downwind of me, at least two hundred feet away, so I couldn't smell him, see him or hear him. But I knew he was there.

Find Kelley Armstrong Online

Links:
Here is a website about Jack the Ripper
Source: Personal collection, paperback

Book Trailer:


Kelley Armstrong Interview:


Related Reviews
Darkest Powers Series
1. The Summoning (2008)
2. The Awakening (2009)
3. The Reckoning (2010)
4. The Gathering (2011)

Nadia Stafford Series
1. Exit Strategy (2007)
2. Made to Broken (2009)

Anthologies
Dates from Hell (2006)
My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (2007)
Many Bloody Returns (2007)

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds really interesting. I love stories that have to do with Jack the Ripper.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog