Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Journey into the Land of Books


Macaulay Culkin stars in this wondrous tale of adventure and fantasy which sends a young boy into the pages of the world's greatest stories.

Seeking refuge from a storm, timid Richard Tyler enters an empty library only to be swept away into the magical animated world of The Pagemaster. It's a timeless place of wonder and discover where legendary characters from literary classics come alive. Richard meets the infamous "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and comes face to face with the mighty "Moby Dick," the treacherous pirates on "Treasure Island" and a giant fire-breathing dragon. Guided by a trio of talking books- Adventure, Fantasy and Horror- Richard must conquer his greatest fears before he can find his way home.

Co-starring Christopher Lloyd, and featuring the voices of Whoopi Goldberg, Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy and Frank Welker, this live-action/ animated fantasy will captivate the entire family.

Title: The Pagemaster
Release: November 23, 1994
Genre: Animation/ Live-action, Family- Fantasy
MPAA Rating: G
Writer: David Kirschner, David Casci, & Ernie Conteras
Director: Maurce Hunt (animation) & Joe Johnston
Music By: James Horner
Produced By: Paul Gertz & David Kirschner
Distributed By: Twentieth Century Fox
Run Time: 80 minutes

I love to re-watch a movie that I haven’t seen in years and can only recall the bare bones of the story. It’s like (almost) watching it for the first time. Sometimes I’m disappointed when re-watching an old childhood favorite; other times I’m just as enthralled as the day I first watched it. Thankfully, that’s what happened to me when I watched The Pagemaster for the first time in at least 10 years.

I can’t tell you what exactly it was that I loved so much about this movie but I’m sure it’s because it takes place inside a library, it starred two of my favorite actors from when I was a kid (Macaulay Culkin and Whoopi Goldberg), or it might even be because it mentions and even brings to “life” some of the greatest classic stories like Treasure Island and Alice in Wonderland. Actually, I’m lying; I know why I loved this movie so much (and still do). The books in the movie come to life and considering how much I’ve always loved to read I’m still waiting for my own adventure… Richard Tyler (Macaulay Culkin) you lucky dog!

Honestly, the only thing I disliked about The Pagemaster was that there were only two songs in the film and neither was all that great. With all the bad reviews I keep finding you would think this was the worst movie ever! I do think the film could have been better but I liked it anyways.

~ I have seen the DVD. The color is better than what you would find on most VHS’ but the bonus features are lacking. There are two trailers, a music video for the “theme” song, and an almost 30 minute Making of The Pagemaster featurette which I really liked, even if it was mainly a promotional tool.

Find The Pagemaster Online

Here's the music video Dream Away by Babyface & Lisa Stansfield

Trailer:


Related Reviews
Christopher Lloyd- Mr. Dewey/ The Pagemaster
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)- Judge Doom
Leonard Nimoy-Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde
The Halloween Tree (1993)- Mr. Moundshroud

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog