Saturday, September 1, 2007

Do You Believe in Killer Reincarnation?

In the gripping new novel from America's Queen of Suspense, a young woman is haunted by two murders that are closely linked -- despite the one hundred and ten years that separate them.

Following the acrimonious breakup of her marriage and the searing experience of being pursued by an obsessed stalker, criminal defense attorney Emily Graham accepts an offer to leave Albany and work in a major law firm in Manhattan.

Feeling a need for roots, she buys her ancestral home, a restored Victorian house in the historic New Jersey seaside resort town of Spring Lake. Her family had sold the house in 1892, after one of Emily's forebears, Madeline Shapley, then still a young girl, disappeared.

Now, more than a century later, as the house is being renovated and the backyard excavated for a pool, the skeleton of a young woman is found. She is identified as Martha Lawrence, who had disappeared from Spring Lake over four year ago. Within her skeletal hand is the finger bone of another woman with a ring still on it -- a Shapley family heirloom.

In seeking to find the link between her family's past and the recent murder, Emily becomes a threat to a devious and seductive killer, who has chosen her as the next victim.

Title: On the Street Where You Live
Published: April 17, 2001
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 320
Genre: Mystery- Cold Case

I was seriously thinking about taking On the Street Where You Live by Mary Higgins Clark back to the library unread (it was an August group read for my BookCrossing Reading Group) but I’m so glad I didn’t! I don’t think I’ve ever read a Mary Higgins Clark book before (but I could be mistaken) even though I know she’s a popular mystery writer so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but I did enjoy the book.

I can’t say I was hooked from the very first sentence but it may have been that first chapter that did it. You see, I’m a sucker for any crime show but especially Cold Case and you don’t get any colder that a 100 year old murder spree. I do wish more time and emphasis could have been spent on those murders but with bodies popping up everywhere and psycho stalkers, I was also pretty interested in the present day.

My only complaint is that there are way too many people to try to keep straight in my head and they acted as a really good camouflage against my being able to figure out who the killer was. I guess that might have been Clark’s intention but I think it was a bit too busy even if that is probably how it might have been in real life. There was hardly any time spent getting to really know the main character Emily either. No, I wasn’t able to figure out who the murderer/ stalker was when I was reading and believe me, it drove me nuts! By the end I was suspecting everyone… and had good reason to! Just about each and every male seemed a likely candidate. Now I’m just trying to decide which of Mary Higgins Clarks’ books to read next.

First Paragraph: He turned onto the boardwalk and felt the full impact of the stinging blast of the ocean. Observing the shifting clouds, he decided it wouldn't be surprising if they had a snow flurry later on, even though tomorrow was the first day of spring. It had been a long winter, and everyone said how much they were looking forward to the warm weather ahead. He wasn't.

Find Mary Higgins Clark Online
Simon & Schuster Webpage (videos included)

Links:
The town of Spring Lake is based on a real place in New Jersey.
Fashions from the 1890s, including really good photos.

Interview

Source: Library loan, hardcover

Related Review
Let Me Call You Sweetheart by Mary Higgins Clark (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog