Monday, September 17, 2007

Vote for the Comedian!

Comedy superstar Robin Williams (RV, The Birdcage, Mrs. Doubtfire) plays Tom Dobbs, a comedian who made it to the top by telling it like it is. When he decides to run for president to unleash his trademark comic rants on the powers that be, something extraordinary happens - he wins! From the director of Good Morning, Vietnam and Wag The Dog comes an irreverent comedy hit with a hilarious all-star cast that is sure to win your vote for best comedy of the year!

Title: Man of the Year
Release: October 13, 2006
Genre: Comedy Drama
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Writer: Barry Levinson
Director: Barry Levinson
Music By: Graeme Revell
Produced By: James G. Robinson
Distributed By: Universal Studios
Run Time: 115 minutes

I seriously doubt I would have ever seen Man of the Year had my favorite comedic actor, Robin Williams not been in it. I just don’t care for politics! I do have to say that I am disappointed that Universal Studios thought they had to trick the viewer into watching the film on the pretense of
it being a comedy (watch the trailer if you don’t believe me) though. I was expecting a bit more comedy than conspiracy theory but I was pleased and entertained (even if the beginning is a little slow). 


I’ll be the first to admit that Robin Williams (Tom Dobbs) has made quite a few stinkers but if you don’t mind his (sometimes) bawdy humor and if you think the government has stopped listening to its people than this is the political satire for you. Personally, I’m one of those people who doesn’t pay attention to politics unless it’s something really big and I come from a long line of non-voters but I refuse to turn this into a political debate.


I have heard and seen that Man of the Year didn’t get good reception and there are some pretty bad reviews circulating for it but I honestly liked the film. It’s not Williams' best work by any means nor Christopher Walkens’ (who plays Jack Menken) and poor Laura Linney (who plays Eleanor Green), is hardly even recognized as a main character! I have to say that the movie was interesting though and really makes you wish some of the politicians and government people would take notice. I love this quote, which is of course a line from Mr. Dobbs:


"You know recently a lot of the past administration has said it’s unpatriotic to question the government. You know if it was unpatriotic to question the government we’d still be English.”

~ I have seen the DVD . There was a “Making of” featurette, some deleted scenes, and a short gag reel that serves as bonus features.


Find Man of the Year Online
Official Site
Imdb.com
Wikipedia
ReelzChannel


Links:
Robin Williams Fan Site


Interviews:
About.com Interviews

Trailer:



Robin Williams Interview:



Director Barry Levinson Interview:



Related Reviews
Jeff Goldblum- Stewart
Jurassic Park Trilogy (1997, 1993)- Ian Malcom

3 comments:

  1. I too am a Robin Williams fan. I have not seen this movie and admit that it hasn't been high on my must see movie list. I may just have to watch it though after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie had a very uneven tone for me... they sold it as a comedy, and then it focused on the whole Laura Linney storyline, but occasionally it would go back and we'd have Robin Williams-style comedy again.

    Though I enjoyed both aspects of the movie, I just felt like they should have picked a mood and gone with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same. It jumped around too much.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog