Saturday, September 22, 2007

"They Want to Be Found You Know"

When I was fifteen, I was struck by a bolt of lightning through an open window of the trailer where we lived… I recovered, mostly. I have a strange spiderweb pattern of red on my torso and right leg, which has episodes of weakness. Sometimes my right hand shakes. I have headaches. I have many fears. And I can find dead people. That was the part that interested the professor…
At the request of anthropology professor Dr. Clyde Nunley, Harper Connelly and her stepbrother Tolliver come to Memphis to give a demonstration of Harper’s unique talent. And what better place to have that demonstration than in a very old cemetery?
Dr. Nunley doesn’t bother to hide his skepticism, especially when Harper stands atop a grave and senses two bodies beneath her – one of a centuries- dead man and the other of a young girl, recently deceased. When the grave is opened, Harper’s claim is proven true. The dead girl is Tabitha Morgenstern, an eleven-year-old abducted from Nashville two years previously – a child whom Harper had tried, and failed, to find. The coincidence raises suspicions about her among the police – so she and Tolliver undertake their own hunt to find the killer. They make a nocturnal visit to the cemetery, hoping that Harper can sense something further about the murder.
And then the next morning, a third dead body is found in the grave
Title: Grave Surprise
Author: Charlaine Harris
Series: Harper Connelly, Book 2
Published: September 26, 2006
Publisher: Berkley
Pages: 320
Genre: Paranormal Mystery

I have read many of Charlaine Harris’ books and although it’s not my favorite (the Sookie books hold that claim), her Harper Connelly series is still very interesting. I read the first book in the series, Grave Sight last year and enjoyed it and I’ve recently finished the current book (at least until next month!) called Grave Surprise.


The story was really great and the characters were well-developed but I still don’t care for Harper as much as I should. She’s a physically weak person and for some odd reason that makes me like her less than some of Harris’ other characters. I do think Harper’s talent is really neat though! I wouldn’t want it by any means but it’s still really cool to read about her unique body finding abilities. I can honestly say that I’ve never even heard of any other character in literature with her certain skills.


I am still a bit weirded out about Harper and her stepbrother’s relationship. I picked up on the more-than-sibling feelings in the first book and Harper finally noticed them in this one. I’m not sure what to think or feel about them being together though. It’s kind of odd to me but most people are rooting for them. As long as they keep solving crimes and finding bodies I’ll keep reading!

Harper Connelly Series:
1. Grave Sight (2005)
2. Grave Surprise (2006)
4. Grave Secret (2009)


First Paragraph: I didn't like Clyde Nunley the first time I met him face-to-face in the old cemetery. There was nothing wrong with the exterior of the man: he was dressed like a regular person would dress for the mild winter weather of souther Tennessee, especially considering the task at hand. His old blue jeans, work boots, shapeless hat, flannel shirt, and down vest were reasonable attire. But Dr. Nunley had a smug, smooth, air about him that said that he'd brought me here to be an object of derision, said he'd never believe I was anything but a fraud.


Find Charlaine Harris Online
Official Website
Author's Blog
Facebook


Links:
Author Wikipedia
Struck By Lightning Website


Source: Library loan, hardcover


Related Reviews:

Sookie Stackhouse Series:
1. Dead Until Dark (2001)
2. Living Dead in Dallas (2002)
3. Club Dead (2003)
4. Dead to the World (2004)
5. Dead as a Doornail (2005)
6. Definitely Dead (2006)
7. All Together Dead (2007)
8. From Dead to Worse (2008)
9. Dead and Gone (2009)
10. Dead in the Family (2010)

Aurora Teagarden Series:
1. Real Murders (1989)
2. A Bone to Pick (1992)
3. Three Bedrooms, One Corpse (1994)
4. The Julius House (1995)

5. Dead Over Heels (1996)
6. A Fool and His Honey (1999)
7. Last Scene Alive (2002)
8. Poppy Done to Death (2003)


Anthologies:
Many Bloody Returns (2007)
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe (2008)

3 comments:

  1. I haven't yet read this particular series by Charlaine Harris, although I do have the first book in the series around here somewhere.

    I am glad you warned me about Harper and her stepbrother's "feelings." That's probably something I would feel weird about too. Now I'll be prepared. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first book it's just a kind of hum but by the end of the second there is some tension. I think Tolliver is clueless though (like most men).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge - huge fan! :) As soon as I can get a copy of An Ice Cold Grave, I will. I have got to know about relationship...I hope it doesn't happen. I mean, ick!

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog