Friday, September 19, 2008

An Intelligent Monster Story

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum’s dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human…

But the museum’s directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders.

Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who- or what- is doing the killing. But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

Title: Relic
Author: Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Start & Finished: 5/30/08-6/1/08
Published: 1995
Publisher: Tom Doherty Associates Book
Pages: 382
Genre: Techno-Thriller/ Horror

Techno-thriller, horror author duo Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have written numerous novels together. They’ve actually collaborated on more novels with one another than they have created solo and have even written a best-selling series together in which FBI agent Aloysius Pendergast plays a main character. Pendergast’s original appearance was in these authors’ debut novel The Relic.

This incredibly talented team of writers impressed me the first time I read one of their novels several years ago called Thunderhead and I was amazed to find that their first collaboration was just as effortless and seamlessly written too. Some of the evolution talk went over my head and there were a lot of characters to keep track of but I really enjoyed reading this story. If it wasn’t for my online reading groups I doubt I would ever have had the pleasure of reading Lincoln & Child’s books since they are so far outside my comfort genre zone but I’m glad I gave it a chance.

My favorite character was Pendergast because he has this quiet “Sherlock Holmes”-ish attitude and he is the epitome of a Southern gentleman but at the same time, he can play hardball too. Certainly the most intriguing character I’ve come across in awhile and I plan on reading the other books in which he is featured eventually, especially Reliquary; the sequel to this book. I did like a few other characters but he was most definitely the best one, so I dumbfounded that he doesn’t appear in the 1997 film adaptation of the book. Actually to tell the truth, there was a whole lot of things that bothered me about the movie but I digress.

The Relic is essentially a sophisticated monster story (my first one actually) with an adventure, mystery, and science fiction thrown in but the story never became cluttered. What I love more than anything else is that not only was the story creepy and well-written, it was written in such a way that the Mbwn and the events of its creation is presented in almost a plausible fashion. It gives me the chills!

Pengergast Series: The Relic, Reliquary, The Cabinet of Curiosities, Still Life With Crows, Brimstone, The Dance of Death, The Book of the Dead, The Wheel of Darkness, Cemetery Dance

Links: Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Agent Pengergast, The Relic (all Wikipedia), Pengergast Fan Page
Interview: Q&A with the Authors (a must-read)

Picture Explanations
Ladder- The museum is putting together a superstition exibit
Museum- The story is set in a fictionalized version of the American Museum of Natural History
Storage- Every museum has an incredible amount of artifacts just lying around in storage, including dinosaur bones just like these and anything could be hiding there

12 comments:

  1. great review. I've seen this movie before.
    I didnt know it was a book.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book and absolutely loved it - however I haven't read the second in the series yet...I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naida: I watched the movie after I read the book and I have to say it was one of the worse adaptations I've ever seen :(

    Kara: Yeah, me too lol! I had it checked out and everything but never got around to reading it before it was due back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to get this in audio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I am so behind on this series. I own so many of the books and end up getting so busy with reviews and new releases that they get put on the back burner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J. Kaye: I need to start getting more audio books! I enjoy them (and my library has a lot of them) but I don't take advantage of them nearly enough.

    Icedream: Thanks! I'm really behind on all my series because I keep pushing them back too. As soon as I get caught up with my reviews (I hope I'm not just being optimistic) I know I'll get more reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read three books in this series and I really like it. Preston and Child do such a great job. I am glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad loves Preston/Child's books. I recently listend to Preston's Blasphemy on audiobook, and liked it. It wasn't really horror, more sci-fi techno-mystery. But good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I read this book several years back and really enjoyed it!! The movie was great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Literary Feline: I'd really like to read all of the books in this series someday!

    Carrie K: I'll probably listen to Reliquary on audiobook if I can find it.

    Melody: I didn't really care for the movie as much as the book. I probably would have liked it better if I hadn't read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting, my wife is reading this right now. I got it last year and pushed it back on my "to be read" list so many times that when she was looking for a good book she picked this one before me. She loves it so far. I've had it recommended several times, I'll have to read it after her. I barely even remember the movie.

    My wife and I also just finished listening to Preston's Brimstone on audio book. It's fantastic. I also loved Preston's The Codex. So I'm really looking forward to Relic, now.

    Thanks, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting especially as it isn't the kind of book I would usualy pick up.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog