Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mozart Was a Cahill

Amy and Dan Cahill are spotted on a train, hot on the trail of one of 39 Clues hidden around the world. Police report a break-in at an elite hotel, and the suspects sound suspiciously like Amy and Dan. When there's a Clue on the line, anything can happen.

Title: One False Note
Author: Gordon Korman
Series: The 39 Clues, Book 2
Start & Finished: 3/3/09
Published: 2008
Publisher: Scholastic Inc
Pages: 174
Genre: YA Fiction- Adventure

The author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series Rick Riordan came up with the idea of the 39 Clues series and he published the first book The Maze of Bones. However the books in the 10 book series are going to be written by different authors and Gordon Korman had the honor of penning the second novel One False Note (and is currently working on the eighth) in this globe-trotting “multi-media adventure series” that brings together reading and online games (not to mention the collectible cards that come with each book).

Rick Riordan is a genius because he combines an amazing adventure with indirect learning in all his books and I truly enjoyed learning about famous people in a roundabout way (just like his Greek gods and mythical creatures in his main series). One False Note isn’t any different just because it’s written by another author, Gordon Korman picked up the reins about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart right where Riordan left off about Benjamin Franklin.

The books in this series are SO neat, like The Da Vinci Code and National Treasure all mixed up into one storyline. What’s even more impressive is that even though the authors vary from book to book, most people would hardly even notice! Amy, Dan, their au pair, and even their cat Saladin are very consistent too.

In an interview Mr. Korman said, "The bar was set by that first book and I had to figure out a way using my own situation to create that same level of excitement and danger and entertainment for my own book." In my opinion, he did very well and now I just have to wait for the next book The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis in which the characters go to Japan in search of the next clue.

The 39 Clues
The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (2008)
One False Note by Gordon Korman (2008)
The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis (2009)
Beyond the Grave by Jude Watson (2009)
Rest TBA

Links: Series Wikipedia, Book Wikipedia, Author Wikipedia, 39 Clues Site
Interview: Author Bordersmedia

~Note: Dedication reads- For all the brother -sister teams from the Mozarts to the Cahills, from a grateful only child.~ GK





Picture Explanations:
House: The home where Mozart was born.
Nannerl Mozart: This was Wolfgang Amadeus' sister, whom is was said was just as good as he was but wasn't allowed to perform being a girl.
Statue: An Austria monument of the composer.

7 comments:

  1. Great review, Jen!! Oh man, you are blowing through these. I really want to start this series. It sounds right up my alley. I read the first Percy Jackson and loved it, now I have Book 2 ready to go!! Where does it end? Unfortunately, I won't get to 39 Clues book 1 or Percy Jackson Book 2 for a few weeks because I'm starting Dune by Frank Herbert.

    I'm chomping at the bit to finish Dune so I can start them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need to use the cards for these books? I was looking at them in the store and they looked complicated!! How interactive is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool books, Jen :) I love your reviews! I love the way they are set up...following the clues. What a fun and educational concept!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how interesting and unusual! Everything about this series sounds so fresh. What a great YA concept. Or adult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only sort of heard about this series. It sounds really interesting! I will have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paxton: Thanks! The Percy books end with The Last Olympian unfortunately. :( I sure am going to miss them! Hope you enjoy the rest of the Percy's and Dune!

    Bermudaonion: They are!

    Cat: No, the cards have nothing at all to do with the books. They're just an added bonus as they put you in a similiar Dan and Amy situation online where you can play games, etc.

    TheChicGeek: Thank you! I do just love the concept of these. Even though they're a bit younger than I normally read in the YA genre, I couldn't help snatching them up when I heard about them.

    Carolyn Crane/Jean: I would LOVE to read an adult series like this!!! The YA is great but it's still younger than most YA I read.

    Kailana: They're very cute and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED!

Thank you so much for leaving me comments and coming by!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
Up Close and Personal with LadyTink I'd love to hear your opinion or just "meet" you!

I do leave answers to your comments here.

Search This Blog